Sunday, December 19, 2010

Rabbit Habitat - Why I am explaining where they live

Bunya, Lucy and Ethel live in the basement. When we are home, they often get the run of (most of) the basement. At night or when we leave, they sleep in a pen, pictured below.

The small cage in the upper right corner of the cage is Bunya's original. It was sold by the pet store from which my daughter bought him. Basically, they didn't know much, if anything, about rabbits. It was too small, even when he was small. It is now one of their litter boxes. We think he may be emotionally attached to it, kind of like Linus and his blanket.

Don't buy rabbits (or any pets) from pet stores. Rescue them from a shelter.

Anyway, there was an interim, larger cage, but I was still not happy with that one. Bunnies need to be able to jump high and take three straight jumps. And bunnies can jump high and far.

So I settled on the arrangement below. They seem to really like it; this assessment is based on the fact that when the door is open and they can run around, they usually end up hanging around inside their pen (after they run around - see definitions, NASBunny). Bunya's picture at the top of the blog shows him leaning on the bar that is the threshold, with the door open.

Why am I explaining this? Because in many of the pictures and videos I post, you will see the pen or the picture is shot through the pen. If I happen to have my phone or a camera, I have to take the best shot I can without moving. If I move too much or make noise, they will stop what they are doing. So that's just the way it is.



As you can see, there is a lot of cardboard; bunnies are chewers (and/or diggers). The white thing near the bottom of the picture is a 5 foot long, six inch tube they like to crawl through or sometimes hide in. Thanks to my daughter, it has a blue Tar Heel sticker on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment